Monday 7 September 2009

Jane Austen talks rubbish...

Well well well...It is the month of September in the year 2009 (I say eye-rubbing in astonishment) and life is swimming along at a speed that would put even Michael Phelps to shame. It's a good pace though for someone that has just finished University and got married and is looking for the next phase of life to arrive. The question is; will the next phase suddenly reveal itself like a nudist at a football game, or am I going to have to continue clambering about searching for my vocation through the mists of my own uncertainty and indecision? Either way, life at the moment sort of feels like being in limbo...(on the job front at least)

The question of what career I end up with will of course be an answered one eventually, and my only hope is that the answer becomes clear sooner rather than later. Aside from job uncertainties, the jigsaw pieces that formulate my life are very much falling into place. In the last few months (as you may know from my last blog entry) I entered the sacred, privileged place for men that have received extra amounts of undeserved favour; marriage. I say that having been married to my beautiful wife for almost 2 months now; I can honestly say that every passing minute has been a total thrill. We had the most perfect wedding day imaginable; surreal, magical and memorable. Our friends and family from all over the place descended on Brighton in huge numbers (I think we had about 350-400 guests at the service!) and made our day so special. (P.s. A lifetime of thanks to anyone reading this that had any role to play whatsoever on our big day)
Our honeymoon was incredible too, going to the Maldives was a perpetuation of the surreal nature of life post-wedding day. Snorkeling with wild turtles, sharks and fish resplendent in colours inconceivable was something I won't forget soon. The stars were astoundingly bright and vivid too...

Despite the extensive effects of a transition from bachelorhood to marriage, I have found it to be a remarkably and surprisingly smooth and natural one. Waking up next to my wife felt instantly normal. Being married has felt instantly natural and good, and I can say with absolute authority that life as a husband is categorically better than life as a single. I endorse it heartily and would strongly encourage any single man reading this to chase after a bride with vigour and determination. It is SO worth it.

The daily learning of patience (for work opportunities), trust (for the financial horizon), dependancy (for the financial current!) and the real meaning of sacrificial love (an almost essential requisite for a newlywed husband) is the highway of discovery my wife and I travel upon at the moment. Sometimes it feels like we're cruising and somedays it feels like were in desperate need of a fill up before things can continue. In both circumstances the proof is in the pudding; that God is trustworthy, worth depending on for all things, and the perfect demonstrator of the kind of sacrificial love needed for any marriage to work. Jane Austen once said, "Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance". This statement is, in a few choice words, a desperately misunderstood pile of farmyard swill. Never have I come across such a mistaken interpretation of marriage. I would respectfully amend Austen's pithy Wildean witticism with my own slightly less quotable version; "Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of hard work, sacrifice and the following of a perfect example laid down by a perfect saviour".

Back soon. I'm off to be with my wife instead of my Macbook.










No comments:

Post a Comment